Author: senoritazhao

8 foreign food words English doesn't have [Copy link] 中文

Post time 7 DayEarlier |Display all floors

Shemomechama

Maybe we don't have an exact translation for the Georgian word shemomechama, but it certainly conjures up thoughts of Thanksgiving, doesn't it? "Pass that pumpkin pie. I'll shemomechama even though my pants are about to bust open!"

Use magic tools Report

Kummerspeck

They eat their feelings in Germany, too, huh? I get it. In my lifetime, I've had grief ice cream, grief peanut butter and even grief boxes of Cap'n Crunch.

What food/eating concept would you like to find a single word for? Here's one: the act of going to the kitchen, looking for something to eat even though you're not really hungry, finding nothing that appeals, leaving the kitchen, and then returning to the kitchen just a few minutes later to start the process all over again. Does any language have a word for that?

Use magic tools Report

KummerSpeck = grief-lard
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.