Author: ceciliazhang

What do you think of China's efforts in poverty reduction   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 7 DayEarlier |Display all floors
The main factor is :Chance ...
Donate things like money. clothes or other stuff does not truly help those in poverty .. Chance to see more ,chance to study,chance to share..
But it's hard for China to provide everyone a platform to see, study and share .. so it's a long way to go ..

Use magic tools Report

Jaaja Post time: 2017-10-9 21:14
One perspective is, that while many poor have become less poor, the rich have become even richer.

W ...

Things are getting harder for China to beat poverty if a new criterion and standard are imposed. But I don't think an international standard should apply to China, since the living costs here are much cheaper. China's effort of upgrading the living conditions of a few hundred million people in the past decades must be commendable.

Use magic tools Report

Dracarys Post time: 2017-10-10 11:47
The main factor is :Chance ...
Donate things like money. clothes or other stuff does not truly help  ...

Much funding has been invested in building schools and supporting students who would otherwise have dropped out of school due to poverty.

Use magic tools Report

ceciliazhang Post time: 2017-10-10 14:42
Much funding has been invested in building schools and supporting students who would otherwise hav ...

Still regional differences exists ...
Especially in gaokao .. well .. you know this ..right ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 6 DayEarlier |Display all floors
Laughable
Stan, you're holding a gun to God's head. I can't think of a metaphor that's better than this.

Use magic tools Report

Propaganda just quickly forget to mention that UNO food help program was supporting poors in China till the 2010...

Use magic tools Report

I have family connections in rural Yunnan, and some concrete government actions that I have seen here include providing big tents for families who would otherwise have to build new houses for their growing children but cannot afford such, and financial compensation (up to 30% or so) for those who have means to cover the rest to replace their old dwellings with new houses.

It may well be that regulations to provide this kind of support have existed for long time, but only recently the money has started to go where it was intended.

At the same time, within the last 6 months an elementary school in a village I frequently visit was shut down for being allegedly too dangerous, and (most of) the children now have to live weeks at town about 20km away to access the school there. Small motorcades of motorcycles can be seen in Sunday afternoons lifting the kids down the mountain roads.

Meanwhile the previously used schoolhouse and yard are planned to be redeveloped for dancing and village parties like weddings and funerals, but from what I heard the locals are not too eager to move such festivities away from their own homes. Personally I think that such development could be very positive for number of reasons (including poverty reduction), but it'd require change in cultural thinking.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.