Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-8 07:57:39 |Display all floors
This post was edited by JohnV at 2017-9-20 12:52

Deleted

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-8 12:23:26 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2017-9-7 20:00
I wonder how they get visas to stay here before getting caught? china only issues a one month L wit ...

May I correct some of your misperceptions?

A tourist visa nowadays is much harder to obtain than just seven years back or especially before 2008. But it is possible to obtain a visa with a validity for MORE THAN 30 DAYS, contrary to your belief. I know this because a European couple has been in touch with me over some itinerary questions for a tour of China. Now they just arrived in China with two-month visas. To get their visas, they needed bookings to prove their intention to fly or travel out of China. A round trip airplane ticket via Hong Kong does that. So since Hong Kong grants European visitors up to 90 days of visa-free stay, a Chinese visa can cover two months and the traveller can stay a couple of months in Hong Kong before flying back. But there is a hell of uncertainty for applicants as to whether their application will be turned down or how long their visa will be valid.

As for jobseekers, there has been a ruse employed by wayward and even legitimate schools for decades: it is the so-called "business visa". These are often valid for six months and are for multiple entries. You have to be a bona fide businessperson to get one, but there is a window of opportunity for teachers as well: the business visa is also accepted for people who want to perform cultural activities at the invitation of a Chinese host. Many training centres therefore act as hosts of foreign teachers on a business visa.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-8 12:28:32 |Display all floors
JohnV Post time: 2017-9-8 07:01
@Seneca

My favourable experiences are to have the right qualifications and not try to commit fraud  ...

And I insist that you do not know what really is the law. It is very obvious that every province and even many cities have different rules beside the national law. And as for law breakers, you need to take a closer look at EMPLOYERS, not so much at their coolies. The latter are created by the former.

I have yet to see a school or university that abides by all the laws!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-8 12:40:41 |Display all floors

John verbatim:

I’ve no idea of the ins and outs of it all, as I’m not involved in it. I suspect the illegals are using false documents to get the residency permits and it’s the fraud that is being checked up on and exposed. 

It's good to see an honest admission that John "does not know the ins and outs...". WHy then does he have to many black presumptions about foreign teachers? Is it because he is nursing biases?

The employer acts as your host in China. He or she will find accommodation for you and that accommodation must be approved by the P.S.B. So if a crooked employer employes fake foreign teachers the crooked employer fools the Chinese authorities or the relevant authorities are in cahoots with him. That does happen, man.

But I doubt the foreign teachers need fake documents to pass these minor hurdles. Most probably have genuine documents. They get hired by a TRAINING CENTRE who pimps them to other schools for tidy commissions. That is where it is becoming slippery and criminal. They see the shekels but not the fact that these schools do not have the permit to hire on their own.

Isn't this a case where the foreign teacher gets shafted along with Chinese people?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-8 12:54:37 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-9-8 12:23
May I correct some of your misperceptions?

A tourist visa nowadays is much harder to obtain th ...

I forgot about the F visa, but to my knowledge you now must have a letter from your company in your home country and a letter from the company you are doing business with?
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-8 12:59:55 |Display all floors
This post was edited by seneca at 2017-9-8 13:04
JohnV Post time: 2017-9-8 07:57
@Seneca

The difference between us seneca, is that you apparently spent ten years here, (but tell me ...

John verbal again, a tad more personal:

tell me you had a pleasant experience and then spend your time complaining about China and everything else under the sun, including N. Korea, medicals and Trump! I can see social science, politics and adapting to varying ideological theories are not your strong points,

Yes, I have had a swell time in China as a teacher. I wouldn't want to trade my time in for experiences anywhere else. But is that reason for me to wax lyrical about China? I see that you are here because:

"...social science, politics and adapting to varying ideological theories are YOUR STRONG POINTS", John (pardon me for editing your quote a little!).

You are right - these are not my strengths: I am not a fan of politics or sociology. I always care more how politics affect people who have no political rights.

I had good jobs in my time here, and many others. I once quit a position after two years and the employer was very, very upset about this, and she took revenge in a petty manner but I wanted to be free from her office politics that so negatively affected the quality of my life.

My next job was a misadventure. It was a brand-new college for women. I was promised a decent salary but they procrastinated with the paper work and I had some time left on a residence permit. I taught but then I noticed that every week my workload changed. At the end of the month I didn't have the promised salary but was paid according to the number of lessons. There soon was a second foreign teacher and he fared the same as me After two months they wanted to retain me and sign a deal but I was by then unwilling to work for hourly wages when I could not foresee at the beginning of a month how much I was going to be paid at the end of it. I quit and I left a secretary there in tears. As an aside, the students there were nice to me and they had their own complaints about the college...

My next job was a respectable one with a noted university and I stuck it out there for 5 years. They would have retained me much longer but they decided to not renew my contract because of a personal matter: I had divorced my first wife, and she had a run-in with the law, went to jail and after being released came to look for me to extort money.She phoned the president of the university and threatened death to someone.  You can understand, I hope, that my employer at that time was not exactly looking for this kind of social intercourse with the ex wife of one of his foreign staff.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.