Author: beginner2013

Chinese are famous for strict education, will UK follow suit? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-12 11:39:10 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-12 07:31
I don't think you hit the nail on its head. It's not so much about who is in charge and who has  ...
The teacher is the "facilitator". DOes the teacher have "authority"?

We may have two sides of the same coin.

How you describe Chinese teaching and learning methods, is "what" it is. I would be speaking of "why" it is so.

Absolute authority within families and society in general has lasted much longer than in west, and such environment does not promote individual thinking, questioning, debating or even discussing matters.

That leaves rote learning and memorizing as the "best" available teaching method that remains.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-12 14:52:37 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-12 07:31
I don't think you hit the nail on its head. It's not so much about who is in charge and who has  ...

seneca does not know anything but is good at copying and pretending to be an expert but actually is an empty vessel!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-12 16:36:13 |Display all floors
This is old news thoroughly discussed in this forum before. My views were made clear in two blogs regarding the "Bohunt experiment" which made clear the appalling purpose of the programme. Lessons can be learned from each-other about the best way to teach various subjects and this is good. But extending the envelope from Maths to other subjects is unwise. Few people in the Uk want their children to go through the rigorous hours of rote learning that many Chinese students face. There is more to life than that presented in a classroom. A lifelong enjoyment of learning is an aim that many Chinese educators see as a way forward. Those parents who can afford private education on western styles vote with their feet. Such approaches are showing results in the remarkable progress of initiative, confidence and forward thinking in Chinese industry today. But it is the social areas that lag behind. Social behaviour is much harder to change.
References to the "Bohunt experiment" should be taken for what they are.... media manipulation and exaggeration in order to increase viewing ratings at the expense of the unfortunate Chinese teachers sent there. A disgraceful BBC programme I am ashamed of as an education adviser.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-16 09:43:13 |Display all floors
I puzzled by the word 'strict’! What is its real meaning from the author's point of view?
I think maths should be taught with more concrete shapes rather than from number to number and from one formula to another, even for the advanced maths in the university! I have posted at least one thread on the similar topic.
I do wish students can learn the subject with more fun and pleasure in easy way. Chinese class is too serious when they ‘study’ science.
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2017-8-18 12:29:40 |Display all floors
While there is no doubt that higher math scores are going to come from Asia (Japan, Korea and the larger cities of China), the Bowhunt School experiment was a staged farce. It was the attempt of the BBC to embarrass the Ministry of Education. It is easy to ascertain that it was staged and nothing about it was real. All you have to do is teach in Chinese schools for a year to see that the Bowhunt Chinese teachers are a far cry from real teachers in Chinese schools.
If you want FREE English lessons every day, add me on WeChat.
My WeChat ID: BigTEXZZ

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.