Views: 11759|Replies: 12

Chinese are famous for strict education, will UK follow suit? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-11 17:47:11 |Display all floors
It was recently reported that Chinese math textbooks have been introduced to the United Kingdom. As a matter of fact, the UK’s Department for Education announced back in July 2016 that it would carry out educational reform targeting math. Half of all elementary schools in England are encouraged to adopt traditional Asian methods for teaching math and £41 million was allocated to schools for new textbooks and to fund teacher training.

Over the past century, Asians have been learning from the Western education system. Education that promotes the “interest and happiness” of Britain was once the nation’s pride. However, in the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) of 2009 and 2012, Chinese middle school students from Shanghai scored much higher in math, science, and reading compared to their British counterparts. The result pushed British educators to rethink their educational style: Perhaps relatively strict Chinese teaching is more effective in the development of students’ learning abilities.

In 2015, the BBC documentary “Are Our Kids Tough Enough? Chinese School” conducted an experiment in which fifty British teenagers in year nine spent four weeks in classes run by Chinese teachers. It was an exchange between Chinese and Western educational philosophy, with China’s “mastery after repeated practice” education program being imported to the UK.

Apart from the UK, the United Arab Emirates, Kenya, Malaysia, and many other countries have shown great interest in the Chinese style of teaching, which welcomes further tests in the international education market. Speaking of education, there is no definite right or wrong, what is in line with the actual demand is the key to successful education. At the same time the UK wishes their future to experience stricter teaching, China is working hard on alleviating the pressure from exam-oriented education.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-12 01:31:28 |Display all floors
I suspect the teaching methods from China are not compatible or suitable for UK or elsewhere in west.

Chinese learning is based on teacher-student relationship that builds on the structures in families and society in general - listen to your superiors (whether that is your father, your teacher, or the emperor) and do exactly as they tell you to do.

That may work in China, because the students and their parents are grown to that role as human beings

Same teaching methods may not be so fruitful in environments where society no longer works like that.

Simply copying teaching methods may not work without implementing the same teacher-student relationships, and implementing those may not work because the students are not grown to that kind of role.

UK has had much stricter school environment in the past, and I'm sure most observers would say good riddance.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-8-12 02:26:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ratfink at 2017-8-12 02:26
Jaaja Post time: 2017-8-12 01:31
I suspect the teaching methods from China are not compatible or suitable for UK or elsewhere in west ...
UK has had much stricter school environment in the past, and I'm sure most observers would say good riddance.

My parents were both products of the "old system" in the UK that was very rigorous in terms of academic standards and so on.  I too went to a school here in Australia that used many of the same rigours and it works.  

My mother topped the UK in English, Latin and  Medieval History, none of which were easy to deal with at upper 6th level.  The Latin exam for example included translating the entire Magna Carta from Latin to English and the other half was to translate several pages of Alice though the looking glass to Latin, a feat that most masters or doctoral candidates would have a hard time doing.

What has been undone can be sorted out with the education system, but the calibre of teachers currently employed may not be up to the task.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-8-12 07:31:29 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-8-12 01:31
I suspect the teaching methods from China are not compatible or suitable for UK or elsewhere in west ...
Chinese learning is based on teacher-student relationship that builds on the structures in families and society in general - listen to your superiors (whether that is your father, your teacher, or the emperor) and do exactly as they tell you to do.

I don't think you hit the nail on its head. It's not so much about who is in charge and who has to obey; it is about the concept of "education" per se. The Chinese concept seems to be that he who has internalized published "knowledge" knows it, i.e. he who can recite a text "knows the text" and therefore passes exams. Pupils therefore need to spend a maximum of their time memorizing. The teacher's job is simple: he or she reads aloud, clarifies a few points if necessary and in general just controls the flow of "knowledge" to the recipients. The teacher is the "facilitator". DOes the teacher have "authority"? Only to the extent that the teacher is in charge of the subject the teacher is teaching to his or her pupils.
A little more strictness would do Western pupils a lot of good. What will not work in the West is to have relatively incompetent teachers (people who merely know things contained between two book covers) teach subjects to their classes and get the results we wish to see in the West: young people not just knowing what they learnt at school but actually having the ability to put their knowledge to practical use. To solve problems.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-12 08:41:21 |Display all floors
I saw all the episodes of that documentary, if UK plans to adopt Chinese textbooks, it should give the students some time to adjust to the new teaching methods.
I forgot how to forget.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-12 11:02:57 |Display all floors
Just make sure you never copy the new education of public schools in the states.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-12 11:32:45 |Display all floors
I'd say that would be interesting ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.