Views: 1066|Replies: 5

10 Best things about living in Beijing? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-11 12:55:02 |Display all floors
This post was edited by ariqj at 2017-8-11 12:56

I have only recently moved to Beijing, and figured I would pick the brains of our many delightful members. Below are some of my favorite aspects of living in China, and more recently, Beijing. I would love to get your thoughts on this, and any recommendations of places to see or things to eat!

1. The food
I have been absolutely in love with Beijing’s food scene. Beijing is undoubtedly a foodie’s paradise. Its streets are lined with food stalls and restaurants. Be it a quick bite to eat of jianbing, some steamed buns, or some traditional wonton noodles, I have been attracted to the road side stands that billow smoke into the early mornings.

2. The historical sites

I have not had the chance to check out many of these sites, but from what I've read, Beijing is surrounded by so many relics of China's historical past. Apart from the Great Wall and the Summer Palace, what are your favorite hisorical sites?

3. The Art galleries and installations

The Beijinger and Timeout frequently reference Beijing's flourishing art scene. The Living Digital Forest is extremely popular right now.

4. The Subway system

While everyone is certainly packed like sardines into the carriages, the convenience of the subway lines is absolute.

5. Online shopping

Taobao is a miracle of the modern age. It is even more efficient, albeit a little less reliable, than Amazon.

6. The convenience of Alipay/WeChat Wallet/Other mobile payment options

The ability to pay for everything with my phone is an ease that I fear will not catch on fast enough in other countries. I rarely bring cash when I leave the house nowadays.

7. The countless day trips and weekend getaway options

I have not heard that much about the nature reserves or parks around China, but I've been completely delighted by the discovery. Where have you gone on your weekend trips?

8. Surge of new and trendy Cafes, boutiques, and restaurants
Beijing reminds me a lot of New York City, with it's constant ebb and flow of new stores and cafes.

9.  Meeting new people

Chatting with strangers and asking native Beijingers curious questions is usually my way of meeting new people!

10. Practice Mandarin
My opportunities to practice Chinese have increased significantly since I've come to Beijing, and have already seen some improvement in my speaking abilities.

+ 1 BONUS.  Understanding more of China’s colorful culture!

Do you have any recommendations for a Beijing newbie?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-12 14:50:51 |Display all floors
Niu Jie 牛街 in Xicheng District 西城 is worth a visit. It is a traditional Muslim neighborhood going back hundreds of years. There is a famous eatery for old style Beijing snacks named Hong Ji on Niu Jie 牛街洪记小吃店.
One of the very best and inexpensive Mongolian hot pot restaurant Ju Bao Yuan 聚宝源 is also on Niu Jie. The draw back, however, is the waiting line. It's not uncommon to wait 2-3 hours for a table.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-12 15:36:22 |Display all floors
Yanqin District - This is arguably the most scenic part of Beijing, and I am not referring to the Great Wall at Badaling. There are lots of biking routes, ranging from the very easy paved bike path along the Gui River to a twenty mile climb up the Song Shan. There is also the Wild Duck Lake wetlands 野鸭湖湿地公园 and the thousand year old Cave Dwelling 古崖居. There are lots more day or weekend trip places and these are just some of my favorites.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-12 15:51:40 |Display all floors
thebeijinger.com
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 7 DayEarlier |Display all floors
Very good observations. I haven't been to Beijing in more than ten years but I always felt it had more pizzazz than Guangzhou.

And don't forget the climate: it has four pronounced seasons and autumn is a very colourful one.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2 DayEarlier 16:03 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1584austin at 2017-8-19 16:03
seneca Post time: 2017-8-14 22:09
Very good observations. I haven't been to Beijing in more than ten years but I always felt it had mo ...

It has more pizzazz because you haven't been for 10 years

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.