Author: ceciliazhang

Is forced donation moral?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-10 18:39:03 |Display all floors
A few yrs back I was in Zhaoqing attending a new years festival which was held in a farmers barn. They had young kids dressed up in dragon costumes dancing for 30 mins. After the show had finished the owners had a loud microphone and a very large bag to collect money (tips) each person was asked to give their name before giving money to the owners of the festival. I could not believe what I was seeing. When they got to me, they looked like their birthdays had come together at once, but their mood soon changed when I only tipped 200 rmb!! I wanted to ask them how much money were they paying the kids?
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 20:40:53 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-10 11:09
"Forced donation" sounds so very Chinese! The Party has a long tradition of forcing commoners to mak ...

You said that you tour Europe twice annually and never set foot on China but always spread rumour about China. Please stop for your own good sake.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 20:57:12 |Display all floors
High earners pay tax. Some choose to donate sums to charity. No-one should be forced to donate or intimidated to do so.  One wonderful thing about China is that there is no tipping/ gratuities in restaurants etc. expected.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 21:37:14 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-10 11:09
"Forced donation" sounds so very Chinese! The Party has a long tradition of forcing commoners to mak ...

RUBBISH! This forum allows paid trolls to lie and smear the image of China citing Freedom of Speech but exploit this privilege given to truthful people expressing themselves responsibly.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 22:42:48 |Display all floors
It is an oxymoron-if it's forced it is, by definition, not a donation, and, in fact, it is an antonym for donating. PS-morals and ethics are a casuality of modern history, like love, honour and friendship. The hollow shells remain withoutthe substance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-11 09:24:41 |Display all floors
Anyone can't force others to donate because then it's not a donation. Donation should be a voluntary act. There are lots of celebrities who helped out after the earthquake that we should admire because of their efforts and genorosity. I think our society should work toward instilling the value of helping others so that people wouldn't even have to think about helping someone in need. The use of moral blackmail to force a person to donate money has to be eliminated.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-11 13:11:58 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2017-8-10 18:39
A few yrs back I was in Zhaoqing attending a new years festival which was held in a farmers barn. Th ...

200RMB...

How much did they want to ask? How about just robbing everyone there? I am Chinese, this is very new to me.....
I forgot how to forget.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.