Views: 40997|Replies: 83

Is forced donation moral?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-10 09:08:41 |Display all floors
A post that urged Wu Jing, actor-director in the action military film Wolf Warrior 2, to donate in the aftermath of Sichuan earthquake, has gone viral online. The post asked Wu how much he would spare since the movie has made a huge profit in China. This is not meant for morality hijacking, it says,  but Wu Jing, as an actor, director and businessman, should show his patriotism in front of calamity as well as in fictional movies. Is forcing people to donate money moral?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 09:09:17 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 09:09:28 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 09:13:57 |Display all floors

Wu Jing made no response to the post. Actually he has donated one million yuan to the earthquake-hit regions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 09:29:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by tailorsas at 2017-8-10 10:17

Those people who blatantly ask celebrities/rich people to donate money should donate the same amount of money as they would, otherwise you have no shame. Now Wujing stands out and sends his love out, while what you have done is nothing but plausible words.

I would love to see public figures to donate, and I really look forward to that. But don't make yourself sympathtic, cuz you are pathetic, you are petty, and you don't have a lot of money.
I forgot how to forget.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 10:27:27 |Display all floors
Like the person in the first picture, who mentioned Wujing: You've earned so much profit out of this film, how much would you donate to the earthquake-striked area? Just say, this is not moral kidnapping, I'm sure a patriotic actor, director and business wouldn't just love his country in a film.

That sounds like moral kidnapping to me.

And it's none of your business.

You can just say: Please help our people in SC to rebuild their homeland, which sounds much comfortable and reasonable.
I forgot how to forget.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 18:31:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Jaaja at 2017-8-10 18:35

China has huge income gap between the wealthy and the poor. As a result, the wealthy also pay (or should pay) majority of taxes that fund the society.

It is government's responsibiity to either make sure that everyone pays taxes that they owe, or use the tax contributions in ways that matter.

The general public does have right to demand the (supposedly) wealthy to chip in more like this. The movie may have made profit, but those profits would also be taxed.

If the tax funds are not sufficient to fund recovery from disasters that should not come as surprises, then the government is to blame - either for not enforcing tax regulations sufficiently, or not targetting the expenditure of those contributions to where they should be.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.