Author: cestmoi

Dimon: Almost Ashamed to be American [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-7-18 00:59:59 |Display all floors
cestmoi Post time: 2017-7-15 20:05
testSomething amazing is happening in America, something that the politically calcified Republicans  ...

Yes, Trump still does have the support of his 'die-hards' ignoramuses, mostly not highly educated, white, blue collar workers. However, as Trump falters on his promises, his base is also shrinking.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-18 05:07:50 |Display all floors
cestmoi Post time: 2017-7-15 20:05
testSomething amazing is happening in America, something that the politically calcified Republicans  ...

I just read an article saying the same thing.  Trump is a 'uniter' in the sense that he unites those against him.  lol

He is an insult to anyone with any intelligence.  I can't stand to hear him speak because I know he doesn't care if what he says is truth or not.  He just says his own opinion and makes things up that fit into his own thinking.

I cannot stand that.  I'm a fact-based person.  Don't argue a point if you haven't researched the facts - it makes you look stupid.

Its not even his policies but his person that i have the most issue with.  He doesn't fact-check himself.  So I know he doesn't make decisions based on fact.

The uneducated love him because he validates them.  'He says what I think'.  And he's stoked this opposition to people with an education.  In a new poll, the majority of republicans are now saying that higher education is 'bad for america'.   They are tired of being belittled for their lack of education and they love Trump for representing them.  

Trump just talked today about bringing back coal jobs.  It makes no sense to bring back coal jobs.  We have more natural gas reserves than coal and natural gas is cheaper.  The costs of coal mining outweigh their benefits and those costs include much shorter life spans and health risks for the workers.   

Renewable energy makes business sense.  But since the environment is seen as a 'liberal' cause, he will ignore all the benefits we could gain from this industry.

When he talks - I hear willful ignorance.   I cannot stand it.  He does make us look bad.  

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-18 07:06:51 |Display all floors
It's normal to be ashamed to live in your own country. The white skins wanted to have black hair and the Asians wanted to have blonde hair. This world is so misplaced.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-7-18 10:04:13 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2017-7-18 05:07
I just read an article saying the same thing.  Trump is a 'uniter' in the sense that he unites tho ...

Masy I quote you thus?
"He is an insult to anyone with any intelligence."

You are thus insinuating you possess "intelligence"?

And why then can't you control your intelligence in a productive, positive way???

Do you think your personal phobias should become international animosity to the source of your hatred?

Do you think intellectuals are better people than blue-collar workers?

You have a perverse way of aggrandizing yourself!

The U.S. American blue-collar workers, whether White or Black or yellow, have as much intelligence as intellectuals. And possibly a lot more than you do.

Isn't it their right to demand a solution to their economic plight? Shouldn't you show solidarity with them?

If they have disappointed you with their choice of Donald Trump I am sure you would feel differently if they had voted for anyone else.

Yours is a purely personal antipathy and as such it has no moral legitimacy here. In fact people like you are a big liability for their nation.

A great nation would overcome the hard times they are going through toghether and work out a better solution for their future. You, however, only show selfish interests. It seems the U.S.A. exists only as a status symbol to either flaunt (as you did when you ran that unspeakably low-intellectual thread about why you felt proud of being a U.S. American) or something to distance yourself from - as you do now. You are a lousy patriot!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-18 12:44:46 |Display all floors
I just read an article saying the same thing.  Trump is a 'uniter' in the sense that he unites tho ...

May I quote you thus?

"He is an insult to anyone with any intelligence..."

Do you think YOU were showing "intelligent" behaviour with your post?

"He is an insult..." - personalising an insult? In other words: he should not have been born because Donald Trump's existence is an "insult" to people like you???

I remember that you started an unspeakably nationalist threwad about how proud you were as a U.S. American; these days you are tearing into the U.S.A. as if it was a piece of carrion.

You are inconsistent.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-18 12:50:04 |Display all floors

Do you actually think that "intellectuals" or "educated people" run a country DIFFERENTLY from how the U.S.A. is currentlybeing run?

YOu are not a good patriot. You don't care about people who lived a better life just a few years ago and find themselves on the dole now. I think a U.S. president has the damn duty to look after the interests of the nation's most disadvantaged, and it appears that a good many industrial labourers belong to that category.

Donald Trump is not the problem; the situation in the job market is.

If he got elected against your personal preferences this means you don't need the U.S. president's care. He has made promises like any other president did before him, and he has garnered the support that he got for this. That he had to resort to populist methods is not his fault.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-18 18:49:29 |Display all floors
1105852048 Post time: 2017-7-18 00:59
Yes, Trump still does have the support of his 'die-hards' ignoramuses, mostly not highly educated, ...

This is taken from an interview with Noam Chomsky.
In turn, Chomsky relied on post-election statistics.
Interesting.
G.Y.: Yet despite his unpredictability, Trump has a strong base. What makes for this kind of servile deference?

N.C.: I’m not sure that “servile deference” is the right phrase, for a number of reasons. For example, who is the base? Most are relatively affluent. Three-quarters had incomes above the median. About one-third had incomes of over $100,000 a year, and thus were in the top 15 percent of personal income, in the top 6 percent of those with only a high school education. They are overwhelmingly white, mostly older, hence from historically more privileged sectors.

As Anthony DiMaggio reports in a careful study of the wealth of information now available, Trump voters tend to be typical Republicans, with “elitist, pro-corporate and reactionary social agendas,” and “an affluent, privileged segment of the country in terms of their income, but one that is relatively less privileged than it was in the past, before the 2008 economic collapse,” hence feeling some economic distress. Median income has dropped almost 10 percent since 2007. That’s apart from the large evangelical segment and putting aside the factors of white supremacy — deeply rooted in the United States — racism and sexism.

Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.