Views: 4254|Replies: 41

How much would it cost today to build the Great Wall?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-6-28 14:38:57 |Display all floors
(Sino.uk) New research has revealed the cost of building the Wonders of the World in today's money.

British building merchant Travis Perkins has been hard at work, adding up the cost of some unusual construction work.

The research, cited here by The Telegraph, looks at the costs of building the New Seven Wonders of the World, if they were to be constructed now.

Surprisingly, a replica of the seventh Wonder - Petra in Jordan - could be yours for just £1.2 million, with Travis Perkins estimating a construction timeline of only one year.

Rome's Colosseum, meanwhile, would cost an epic £400 million if you wanted one in your back garden, and would take two years to complete.
Even this cost, however, fades into insignificance when compared with the cost of a new Great Wall of China - and you'd also probably need to buy a bigger back garden.

The research estimates that a new Great Wall would cost an eye-watering £54 billion, including labour and materials, although the expected building timeline of 18 months seems reasonable.

Of course, no one is actually going to be building a new Great Wall, but the figures give a new perspective on the astonishing scale of the original construction - made without the benefits of modern building techniques or technology.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 16:39:33 |Display all floors
It makes me wonder how much the wall between USA and Mexico that Trump intends to build is going to cost.
I forgot how to forget.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 16:41:03 |Display all floors
tailorsas Post time: 2017-6-28 16:39
It makes me wonder how much the wall between USA and Mexico that Trump intends to build is going to  ...

lots of life

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 16:52:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by tailorsas at 2017-6-28 16:52
emanreus Post time: 2017-6-28 16:41
lots of life

And now I wonder when he'll announce its construction.But I really hope he won't.
I forgot how to forget.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-6-28 20:26:32 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2017-6-28 16:41
lots of life

Do you know how many slave lives the construction of the Chinese Great Wall cost???

Why do you always make churlish, snide comments?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 21:17:53 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-6-28 07:26
Do you know how many slave lives the construction of the Chinese Great Wall cost???

Why do you al ...

How many people died during the construction?

Answer:  There is no accurate number in the historical materials. But it is estimated that the number should be no less than 11 million. The construction work was extremely difficult. Most of the sections were built along lofty ridges and bricks used to build the wall were carried by labors. A large number of labors died because of heavy workload, or fell down from the mountains. Moreover, they worked a lot but ate a little, so some were died from hunger.

.travelchinaguide.com/china_great_wall/scene/list.htm
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 21:19:06 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-6-28 07:26

Why do you al ...

Do you know how many slave lives the construction of the Chinese Great Wall cost?

it is estimated that the number should be no less than 11 million.
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.