Views: 690|Replies: 14

Is Mahjong a gambling game? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-5-19 10:45:41 |Display all floors
Playing Mahjong is common pastime for Chinese people. It is common to see people of all ages sitting around a table playing mahjong. The stakes vary. The chips can be worth anywhere from several yuan to tens of thousands of yuan depending on the wherewithal of the players. A proposal on Mahjong has received feedback from Wuhan Municipal police. According to the notice, playing mahjong with family members, with no intention of gaining profits, is not regarded as gambling and immune to punishment. And individuals who participate in playing mahjong with average money of 1000 yuan are also exempted from administrative punishment. Is Mahjong a way of entertainment or kind of gambing? What do you think?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-5-19 11:00:55 |Display all floors
Chinese are separated by an unbridgeable gap from the advanced West by their gambling addiction. This addiction has deep philosophical and cultural roots. These can be narrowed down to the Chinese obsession with money. As long as Chinese culture is so materialistic, gambling will remain one of its more dangerous facets. In the West, people play games without the desire to earn anything. No stakes are set in most cases. In China it is impossible to play cards, mahjiang or chess without the Chinese side setting a stake. It is the same in sports. Chiese do not engage in sports because it does not pay off. No sports, no healthy pastimes, no healthy mind.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-20 10:10:13 |Display all floors
Anything can be turned into a gambling game really. Even if the players themselves don't do it, others can make it a gamble. In many foreign countries people gamble for money on politics, song contests, whatever they can.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-5-20 10:35:39 |Display all floors
What a rediclous thread of course it is

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2017-5-20 19:23:09 |Display all floors
Never played it as it looks too complicated for my pea brain

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-5-21 01:37:02 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-5-19 11:00
Chinese are separated by an unbridgeable gap from the advanced West by their gambling addiction. Thi ...

You are sadly misinformed.

Of the top 10 gambling nations on a per capita basis Australia tops the list with only Hong Kong being in the top 10.  Others include the UK, Canada, Finland, Norway, Italy, the USA and New Zealand.  

The list plus details is found here:
http://www.businesswire.com/news ... BGC-Country-Gambles
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-5-21 07:36:12 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2017-5-21 01:37
You are sadly misinformed.

Of the top 10 gambling nations on a per capita basis Australia tops th ...

I do not care who are the top gamblers in the world. In the West, gambling is banned except in a few places that profit from the next-to-global ban. Few people become addicted to it.

Even so, gambling is not as widespread in any Western nation as it is in China. The reason is cultural, as I have said already. When I play chess, I pay chess to distract my mind or to unwind. I never play for money.

The Brits did well in banning gambling in Hong Kong and the CP.C> did the same in Mainland China. The Brits did allow betting on horse-racing. But this did not corrupt society.

Gambling in China is far more widespread than you can imagine. Every family or members of it  takes part in it. I have known Chinese who gave up jobs to make money by gambling. Of course they do not play mahjiang to make oney - they gamble with shares. You can say that is what many other "capitalists" or "investors" do I would disagree. The people in China that slip into this form of gambling do it out of an impulse, not because they have business interests that mesh with their addiction to investing in profitable shares. I knew a Hunan man in Shenzhen who from one day to the next gave up his office job to play  shares during office hours every sigle weekday. At first he made oney but suddenly his fate crashed and he had to go back to work.

It can be tragic. My father-in-law lost 100'000 yuan gambling this way. My first wife was a clandestine gambler. I didn't know it until I divorced her. After our divorce she took e to Macau and showed me where she gambled her proceeds away. I hd to give her half of my bank account's savings and that bank account happened to be with a bank in Macau.

What strikes me as special about Chinese gamblers is the SERIOUSNESS with which they pursue their hobby. There is an iron determination and no distractions are tolerated. I can see a group of gamblers come together in a nearby pavilion. They come every day and play up to 8 hours.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.