Views: 1476|Replies: 64

Would you apply for a five-year work permit? [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-3-17 11:16:40 |Display all floors
(Shanghaiist) China's Ministry of Public Security announced a refreshing new pilot program last Thursday which will allow any foreigner who has been working in China for at least two consecutive years to apply for a five-year work permit.

This is a pretty significant upgrade over the current system in which most expats are forced to reapply for a new work permit each year, even if they are on a multi-year job contract.

The trial program is expected to be rolled out later this year in nine cities and provinces, including Beijing, Wuhan and Hebei province, along with 11 trade free-trade zones, including those in Tianjin, Chongqing and Henan, according to Caixin.

At the same time, the outline of another program has been introduced which will allow foreigners who have resided in China for more than four consecutive years while spending at least six months out of each year inside the country to apply for a permanent residence permit, as long as they meet certain salary and income tax thresholds -- though the details of this plan have not yet been released.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-3-17 13:11:43 |Display all floors
That's certainly welcome news. However, the wording is quite vague. WHo is to apply for a 5-year R.P.? Shouldn't it be the employer?

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-3-17 13:31:18 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-3-17 13:11
That's certainly welcome news. However, the wording is quite vague. WHo is to apply for a 5-year R.P ...

Let's wait for the detailed information. At least, China is making efforts to loosen its policy for foreigners.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-20 16:33:33 |Display all floors
Even with a 5 yr work permit you still have to renew your resident permit every year...
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-3-20 16:35:37 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2017-3-20 16:33
Even with a 5 yr work permit you still have to renew your resident permit every year...

Is the renewal process that complicated? I have no idea of it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-20 16:41:11 |Display all floors
linda_sun Post time: 2017-3-20 16:35

The foreigner does not need to be in person to apply for the work permit every year, but he must be there to apply for the new resident permit every 1 year or 2 yrs. I don't see how giving him/her a 5 yr work permit will make any difference.
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-20 17:12:01 |Display all floors

When you renew the residence permit, you need to leave your passport for the 1-3 weeks it takes to process it. Exact time it takes probably varies between cities.  It's a minor inconveniece I think  - could be big one if for example you plan to travel abroad at that time (or even domestically if you need passport).

However, at least with some types of residence permits, you can already get at least 2 years at time.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.