Views: 4205|Replies: 40

Chinese students at Columbia University took a video to stand up for themselves   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-2-13 00:19:26 |Display all floors
http://www.miaopai.com/show/ApVjGcZluHCwEVGYLR3K4A__.htm

Many students found that their door plates with their Chinese names were torn, and they were really angry. So they took this video called "Say my name" to tell what do their names mean and whytheir names are so important to them. "The best way to let the ones who don't respect our Chinese names because they don't know what do they mean is to tell them what are the meanings are how beautiful they are."

)YP%YE5}TI%GE~M]KLO$_P1.png
6_O7SBOQ[I01YM%AR[`JBC4.png

That's ture. Chinese parents put all their great expectations in their children's names. They may have read the dictionary for many days to give a satifying name.

Do you have a Chinese name? What's the meaning of it?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-13 00:29:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Sallywrj at 2017-2-13 00:33

My Chinese name is Wang Roujia.

“柔嘉(Roujia) originate from Shi Jing(Classic of Poetry orThe Book of Songs, the oldest existing collection of Chinesepoetry). If we look at it seprately, Rou means tender and Jia means good.

Together Roujia means "You have to respect theetiquetee and laws. Only in this way, can people be obedient to you and praiseyou."

敬尔威仪,无不柔嘉。

--《诗经 大雅 荡之什 抑》

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-2-13 04:12:45 |Display all floors
The tide is changing

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-13 06:32:30 |Display all floors
good clip

you can feel the emotion from some of the students
sad it happened in a University
ExJ.H

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-2-13 12:10:41 |Display all floors
What's that bit aboutr "door plates with Chinese names torn off"???

Could you elaborate a little on this?

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-2-13 14:17:10 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-2-13 12:10
What's that bit aboutr "door plates with Chinese names torn off"???

Could you elaborate a little on ...

Let me elaborate on this issue. Name tags of many Asian students including Chinese at Columbia University had been ripped off their dormitory doors during the Lunar New Year. The vendalism has aroused concern, prompting them to make a video to counter the growing xenophobia. The video seeks to explain the meaning of their names in a way Westerners can understand. Couldn't believe it happened in the US university. Was it racially biased?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-2-13 14:34:52 |Display all floors
linda_sun Post time: 2017-2-13 14:17
Let me elaborate on this issue. Name tags of many Asian students including Chinese at Columbia Uni ...

So let me see if I understand you well:

There has been some vandalism at Columbia University, right?

This particular type of vandalism targeted the name plaques of foreign students on the doors to their rooms?

Of course I can se that this is a serious issue. More than that: it is a crime.

Have instances of vandalism also happened to other facilities or have the name plaques of students in other rooms been vandalised?

If not, then it clearly is a most worrisome crime.

Then the administration should step in and involve the police.

I do not really believe that the Chinese students' video will stop the culprits.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.