Readers’ Blog

Teaching College in CQ

Popularity 2Viewed 828 times 2020-2-16 08:46 |System category:Life

I am an English teacher in Chongqing, at Hailian College, aka Chongqing College of Civil Aviation.

My colleagues will probably agree, that the virus has NOT made me a more likable person. I am much lonelier than I ever was before (and all foreign teachers are very lonely), semi-quarantined inside my community, and admittedly more testy and short-tempered now.

Reflection is a natural component of teaching, so I am now trying to get myself into reflective mode, versus reactive mode.

First, I am not sure exactly what my students think. I have about 400 new students, and I have never met them in person.

We are doing our best to figure out how to have classes online. I salute the students - they are very involved and full of enthusiasm trying to help all of us figure out how we will do online courses. I think they are also feeling a bit isolated, and are looking for something to do, and new ways to socialize.

Online classes have become more social than normal classes, which is a little bit of fun. I think students stuck at home want to feel engaged with something outside of their village/community, So, if you are an online teacher, turn your classes into positive online communities. Tell jokes, share music videos. Keep grammar lessons to the bare minimum …

Next, I think many are coming to realize 'working from home' is a bit over-rated.

Yes, you can do it, but teachers, especially foreign teachers, lose much of their charm online. It's one thing to walk around a class of 50 students, making eye-eye contact and reassuring them that they are doing okay, and looking at all of their facial expressions and body language to understand their questions, frustrations, and ideas. It is another thing to type to them online, when you cannot see anything, and most students won't respond if they feel lost.

To those lost students … I think about you all of the time, even though I don't know who you are yet. I will find you soon! I care about you!

Finally, there are huge opportunities for all during this quiet time. Do something to improve yourself. I have a Tai Chi video I have been avoiding for a long time. I think it's time to start it! Maybe you can even make some new friends, by checking with colleagues to see how they are doing, and develop a deeper friendship with them.

Do your best to make things better. At the very least, don't go crazy with Cabin Fever(I did, about 50%) and make things worse! I am now beginning my recovery from Cabin Fever, by blogging … Jia rou!

Me at school

(Opinions of the writer in this blog don't represent those of China Daily.)

Passing

Eggs

Flowers

Shake hands

Ray
Like 0 Share

Comment Comment (2 comments)

Reply Report Chengking 2020-2-17 14:07
Jia You to you, too!
Reply Report SEARU 2020-2-17 20:58
I am also a teacher with bloging as hobby for five years. The extra work beside teaching means a lot to the quality of my personal life!  I wish you contribute more writings to the CD web for sharing!

facelist doodle Doodle board

You need to login to comment Login | register

Album

Friends

Recent comments

• Teaching College in CQ 2020-2-17 20:58

I am also a teacher with bloging as hobby for five years. The extra work beside teaching means a lot to the quality of my personal life!  I wish you contribute more writings to the CD web for sharing!

• Teaching College in CQ 2020-2-17 14:07

Jia You to you, too!

Star blogger

Anming

views

Maierwei

views

财神

views

BACK TO THE TOP
    Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
    Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
    platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.